Monday, February 25, 2008

Is Anybody Listening?

Any one remember this phrase "Taxation without representation"?

Last time people living on these shores got serious about this issue there were history changing events. No, I am not advocating Revolution. I just want the people I vote for to get serious.



And seriously get to work.


In case you didn't know - I elected you to work for me and for my family. I elected you to make my life better. To use my tax dollars wisely. On necessities for me, my neighbor and our children. If you won't do that - give me my money back because I have bills to pay. Like heating oil, college tuition, repairing the roof...you know, necessities.


What have you done for my children? And my children's children? Have you invested in keeping them safe? Have you invested in their future? Have you made sure that the bridges they travel on won't fall down? Have you invested the money needed to upgrade the safety of air travel? By last account $30 Billion was too much to spend for keeping us all safe in the air and upon landing at our country's airports. But we borrowed 360 Billion dollars so a few of us could buy video games and toxic toys from China.

Seriously?

Maybe there just aren't any dictionaries in Washington DC. A tax rebate is when there is an excess of monies collected so you give some back to the people that paid the taxes. That is not what happened here.



If our representatives worked in private industry, they would be summarily FIRED. For failure to accomplish the work they were hired to do. For gross mismanagement of funds. For insubordination and refusal to work with their coworkers.



Remember our kids' Kindergarten report cards? I always laughed at the thought of grading 4 and 5 year olds. But we did. On what? Playing well with others. Good listening and not biting each other.



Holy crap! The majority of our elected officials would fail Kindergarten.

Here is one suggestion. Stop yelling at each other.

Don't worry so much about getting on TV.
Stop keeping track of whose side is winning.
I'm losing. The taxpayers are loosing. The country is losing.


Use the money you are entrusted with like I would. Pay the bills. Pay attention to necessities. Fix the roof. Put something away for the future.


We are in a crazy, costly war. Our infrastructure needs work. New Orleans is still a mess. Investments need to be made in our schools, in alternate sources of energy, in making our borders safe. If we have an extra 360 billion dollars(we don't, but if we did) here's an idea - Let's cure cancer.


We need our government representatives, on both the local and national levels, to get serious. To get busy. And they need to get the message that they were elected to work. To work for us. Not just to raise money, or get on TV, or pander to special-interests, or even to get re-elected.

And so, it is especially frustrating to watch all this primary coverage and see how many people just don't get it. I have not heard any reporters or pundits ask Hillary Clinton a very important question.

If you cannot manage your own money, why should I entrust you with mine?

Their campaign ran out of money. They misjudged and mismanaged millions of dollars. Their people are fighting over whose fault it is.

Well guess what guys. That doesn't make you too responsible in my book. And there is just TOO MUCH at stake.

If Hillary is getting by with well-timed tears, blaming her husband (now she blames her husband?), phony accusations and the "stop picking on me because I am a girl" tactics I've got news for her. That won't cut it with other foreign leaders.



She's putting her opponent down for being optimistic and inspiring. You know what? That's not a bad place to start. I'm tired of negativity. I'm tired of arrogance and cynicism. I'm tired of incompetence and not recognizing the truth even if you fall over it. She doesn't even know the difference between right and wrong unless someone points it out to her. Someone please tell the Clintons that basic goodness and honesty are not character flaws. That tolerance is good and not just a means to win an election.

I'm tired of nothing getting done. I'm tired of my money being wasted.

There are great things to be done. And Americans can do them.

Give me an American with vision and hope, with responsibility and conscience, with compassion and good sense, with courage and strength, with conviction and intelligence, who is both practical and idealistic. Let that person represent me and I'll smile when I sign my tax check.

No comments: