Thursday, December 27, 2007

How does the song go...?

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

I love everything about it.

I love the snow, even though I am no longer a kid and I know that whatever falls has to get shoveled up.

I love the Spirit of Christmas. That feeling (while not necessarily religious, comes with the season), that gives us the freedom to be kind in small ways to friends and strangers alike. The generous expressions of love that don't have to cost very much at all. Of course, we don't have to wait for Christmas. But, come on, we know that if you smiled and greeted strangers while holding open a door for them in July people would think you were a crazy person. I've tried it - most people look at you funny. Who cares? The older I get, the less I care about what other people think. (Often to my kids' chagrin.)

I love the decorations and the lights. The white fairy lights on my own Christmas tree, the smell of fresh pine boughs, and all the displays of color and holly everywhere you look. Okay - I'll admit - I hate them in October, I don't like them in November, but come December, I do love them all.

I love to see the expressions on my daughters' faces on Christmas morning. Did you ever notice that no matter how old your kids get, on Christmas morning they still look like the little children they once were. I love being able to make them happy. If only it were in my power to do that every day. And I feel good about actually stopping to take the time to count my blessings, and grateful to remember that they are many.

And while I am NOT a fan of New Year's Eve, of "Auld Lang Syne", or the seemingly, ever quickening, passing of time, I do enjoy the eternal hope a New Year brings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!